You are clad in a gorgeous dress and is being led to the dance floor by the perfect date, who is looking adoringly at you. Everyone you come across gives you a lingering, admiring, head-to-foot gaze. They’re all gushing over how great you look that night, but there’s a problem – this is just a picture in your head of how you would want your homecoming experience to be, and you haven’t got a dress yet. Fret not, for here are some tips to help you know what to look for in a homecoming dress.
- Be comfortable. Don’t stray too far away from your personal style. Sure, you can play up those best assets of yours, but not to the point of sacrificing comfort. A dress should make you feel great being you. Pick a dress that lets you move around without feeling self-conscious or awkward.
- Don’t go over the top. You don’t have to arrive in the event in a ball gown or full-length dress, but you can’t come in dressed only in t-shirt and jeans. Instead, choose a dress whose skirt ends just above the knee. Stay away from styles that are too revealing, tight or too short.
- Know what accessories will go with the dress. This will aid you in your hunt for the perfect dress. By knowing what accessory – the shoes, especially – would go well with the dress before you decide to buy it, you will be saving time and even saving yourself from a disastrous purchase that you would not know what to do with.
- Add a shawl. Shawls are very handy, especially when you are not sure if sleeveless dresses are allowed. Shawls will also keep your warm, especially in autumn, wherein it might get really cold. You can also bring with you an overcoat.
- Keep in mind the autumn colors. Those bright, spring colors that are so popular in prom will not be ideal for the homecoming dance, which usually occurs in autumn. The dark yet sophisticated colors of autumn such as shades of black, blue and gray are preferable.
- Buy your dress in advance. You have to find and decide on a dress week ahead of the homecoming dance to get alterations done in time. Assume that you will be needing more than one alterations.
- Don’t say no to online shopping. Don’t be crestfallen if you can’t afford a designer outfit. There are online stores that sell beautiful and unique dresses available in every size. Take a peek at Peaches Boutique’s collection of homecoming dresses for instance.
The whole point of homecoming is to celebrate school spirit. With a comfortable homecoming outfit that makes you feel at your best, you can easily mingle with schoolmates, get to know your alumni and just have a good time.